For 10 years, New Works Calgary has been very fortunate to work with composer, Laurie Radford, as our Artistic Director. Lauries’s visionary leadership has helped New Works Calgary to become one of Canada’s leading contemporary music organizations. Laurie Radford will step down at the end of New Works Calgary’s 2019/20 season.
About the Role
New Works Calgary (NWC) is currently searching for an artistic director who can challenge, develop, and grow its programming. NWC seeks to identify a new artistic director who can respect the incredible history of our organization, while further developing NWC to new levels within its artistic focus. The ideal candidate should be ready to challenge our audiences with thought-provoking artistry, all the while continuing to provide highly enriching and unique experiences through our programs.
The successful candidate will fulfill the following duties:
- Be responsible for all programming decisions.
- Work closely with the organization’s part-time administrative staff of general manager, marketing coordinator, and production coordinator, as well as the board of directors to create and produce programs which include outstanding education and outreach initiatives, an annual concert season, the biennial Calgary New Music Festival, commissions of new works, and other special projects.
- Work to progress New Works Calgary’s mandate to support Calgary and Southern Albertan composers, collaborate with artists of all disciplines, and maintain gender parity in programming.
- Work closely with artists to maintain the highest standards in all program areas.
- Foster collaborative relationships with artists and organizations in Calgary of all disciplines.
- Actively participate in fundraising initiatives with individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Assist with grant proposal applications and reports with the general manager.
The schedule is flexible and hours vary depending on the time of year, with a competitive annual salary.
Although NWC’s search is not limited to local residents, the ideal candidate will live in the Calgary region and thus be an active participant in the ongoing development of the organization within the community. The following skills and experience criteria are those we seek in an ideal candidate:
- A broad knowledge of the Calgary, regional, national, and international new music field.
- An advanced music degree or equivalent performance/artistic experience.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- The ability to multi-task and manage firm deadlines.
- At least five years of successful programming experience in new music.
Applications and proposals from qualified candidates are welcome. Interested applicants should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (no more than 1 page)
- Proposal for the 2020/21 New Works Calgary concert season with proposed theme/vision, artists/ensembles, venues, and budget (no more than two pages).
- Contact information for at least three professional references.
Limit material to no more than eight pages. All applications will be treated as confidential and references will not be contacted without the candidate’s prior knowledge and agreement. Please submit applications via email with attachments as a single PDF file to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is October 31st, 2019. The successful candidate will be announced by January 2020.
To learn more about New Works Calgary and to view our past concert seasons, you can visit neworkscalgary.com, or find us on social media using the handle @NeworksCalgary.
If you have questions or to have a conversation before applying, please contact Simon MacLeod, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.