New Works Calgary (NWC) was created when artist John Snow commissioned a composition by Allan Rae and discovered there were no performance opportunities for the piece.
Surprised by this, the Snow family held a concert of new music by Calgary composers and musicians in April 1984, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Canadian Music Centre.
The success of this concert encouraged Snow and co-founder Quentin Doolittle to start concert series that featured new works by Calgary composers. As a result, the New Works of Art Calgary society was established in 1984 and has maintained annual concert seasons ever since.
New paintings are easily seen by everyone, even if it is only by looking in the window of an art gallery. Written works are almost as easy being available from libraries, magazines, books, and many radio programs. More difficult are works for the theatre and most difficult of all is to have the opportunity to hear new music.John Snow
Our general goal has been not only to present contemporary Canadian music in all its diversity but also to explore the rich collaborative possibilities between Canadian composers and poets, writers, video and performance artists, visual artists, dancers, actors, and musicians.Quenten Doolittle
New Works Calgary, through its concert series, supports the creation and performance of contemporary concert music with emphasis on Calgary and Southern Alberta composers and musicians. It encourages the exploration of relationships between music and other artistic disciplines, offering inquisitive audiences thought-provoking, enriching and unique experiences.
About the Role
New Works Calgary (NWC) is currently searching for a marketing coordinator (contract) who can share our stories, and grow our community. NWC seeks to identify a new marketing coordinator with knowledge of the incredible history of our organization, as well as a passion for new, contemporary music and fine art in Calgary and around the world.
The successful candidate will fulfill the following duties:
- Manage NWC social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) strategies, campaigns, and budgets.
- Actively post to social media platforms, providing valuable and relevant information to followers.
- Act as the main point of contact for all customer service inquiries on social media channels.
- Upload programming into arts and culture listings services, such as yyscene.com and yycwhatson.ca.
- Attendance at NWC events, providing photo and videography support as required.
- Development and distribution of media releases, and coordinate interviews and other media opportunities.
- Creation and distribution of email newsletters to promote NWC news and events.
- Seek new opportunities to promote NWC and increase our audience.
The following skills and experience criteria are those we seek in an ideal candidate:
- A background and education in marketing and communications, in particular event marketing, or a related field.
- A passion and knowledge for the arts, and an enthusiasm for local fine arts and new music
- A general understanding of New Works Calgary and its activities.
- Knowledge of social media platforms, scheduling tools, and email marketing platforms is considered an asset.
- Experience and comfort with photography and videography is considered an asset.
- Exceptional verbal and written skills.
- Excellent time-management skills, detail-oriented, and able to work under pressure.
- Ability to work remotely at a high level, both independently and with a team.
Because of the nature of New Works Calgary’s programming, this flexible, contract role is based on an average of two to three hours of work per week, with high and low times for required work. Compensation will be made in two instalments, at the beginning and end of the season.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume via email with attachments as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is June 30, 2020. New Works Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. We appreciate all expressions of interest in our organization, however, only candidates selected for a conversation will be contacted.
To learn more about New Works Calgary and to view our past concert seasons, you can visit newworkscalgary.com, or find us on social media using the handle @NeworksCalgary.
If you have questions or to have a conversation before applying, please contact Simon MacLeod, President at email@example.com.